January 29 Writing Prompt
I’ll admit it! I’m a writing craft junky. I spend way too much time reading articles about writing. I try to keep it in check enough that it doesn’t take away from my writing time, but I still can’t resist an article on tone, 3-act structure, or character development. Here are four windows I had open on my iPhone browser this morning. Maybe one of these articles will shake something loose in your brain and lead to a productive writing session:
- “50 Questions for Your Outline” from Thinking Through Your Fingers
- “Why Starting With Plot May Be Screwing Up Your Story” from Chasing MacGuffins
- “The Skeleton Draft” by Numawok Creative (This is part 4 of a great 5-part series)
- “30 Classical Music Prompts” by Rianna Cohen (For those of you who write with music like I do.)
- My favorites are Beautiful Mechanical by Son Lux. It makes me think of a frenetic version of Gershwin’s American in Paris for the 21st century AND the Adagietto from Mahler’s 5th Symphony. Something about Mahler moves me every time.
And for a little more inspiration, today’s words for the writing prompt are: abridge, loud, dividend, combine, waste, place, salesperson.