I’d like to thank the Academy…
I received a comment this morning that made me blush. How often do we plod along with our writing and our blogs not knowing whether anyone is out there reading. Jonny Eberle (a.k.a. J.W. Eberle) reached out this morning and let me know that not only is he reading, but “He likes me! He really truly likes me!” (cue Sally Field in Norma Rae) Jonny bestowed me with a blog award. The One Lovely Blog Award is a way for bloggers to recognize the excellence of their peers. Upon receiving the award, the nominee is required to share the love:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post
- Share seven things about yourself
- Nominate 15 bloggers you admire
- Leave a comment on each of these blogs letting them know they’ve been nominated
Step 1: Check (Many thanks, Jonny. And thanks for reading!)
Step 2: Share seven things about yourself:
1. I love ice cream. But I can only eat hard ice cream (no soft serve) and I have to eat it with a plastic spoon. No metal. It conducts the heat from your hand directly to the ice cream and suddenly your straight from the freezer rock-hard scoop is a pool of soft serve.
2. My kids call me a rock star because I love wearing my Converse tennis shoes. Not sure why those have been deemed “rock star” shoes at my house, but I’ll take the compliment.
3. I have a strange compulsion with buying office supplies. If you could see the closet in my office you would sign me up for an episode of Hoarders. I have Post-it notes and binder clips in every color of the rainbow.
4. I just took an outdoor rock climbing class last week – and loved it. Yet another reason that I’ve been dubbed a rock star at home. How many kids can say that their mom can be found dangling 40 feet up on the side of a cliff on Saturday mornings?
5. If I had all the money in the world, I’d give a bunch to charity (I’m a sucker for non profit work), buy a house in Vail and eat sushi every meal of the day.
6. I have an irrational fear of dragonflies. I couldn’t tell you why, but I’ve hated them since I was about eight or nine years old. I know they are harmless, but I just can’t stand them.
7. I’m a chronic over-committer. I’m working on this one. I usually manage to get it all done, but it doesn’t leave much room for the important things like writing or sleeping.
STEP 3: Nominate 15 bloggers you admire.
1. Sara Denckhoff – Sara is a sorority sister from college and her blog makes me laugh and makes me reflect on my own life and choices as a mother, as a parent and as a woman, every time I read it.
2. ProudLiving by Natalie Proudfoot – I met Natalie because she grew up with my husband. Since knowing her, she has self-published a phenomenal novel (Defending Hope), beaten cancer and kept a smile on her face throughout it all.
3. Love Can Sit Anywhere by Katrina Kaczmarek – Katrina is also a sorority sister of mine. Who knew that I would be lucky enough to attend college with so many talented writers? Katrina has also beaten cancer. She is honest and raw and her posts always leave me feeling blessed to know someone who can capture emotion with words the way she does.
4. Bits, Bursts and Bongo by Per Hakansson – Per is married to a dear college friend. He is an entrepreneur and world-traveling lecturer who also happens to be a father and a very insightful human being. His musings on a “mindful approach to living” inspire me.
5. Crazy Bloggin’ Canuck by Amber Johnson – Amber relocated to Denver via Salt Lake City and gave up her wanderlust, travel-writing life to marry the love of her life and have two kids. She chronicles her family’s adventures in her hilarious blog.
6. One Mom in Maine by Emilie Manhart – Emilie writes about food, family and fitness. She’s also an English teacher, a writer, a runner and a fabulous photographer. Her blog chronicles her life in Maine.
There you have it. I gave you six of my favorite blogs that I follow regularly rather than 15 semi-quality ones that I drop in on here and there. I hope you discover some gems to add to your own list of regulars. Happy reading!