Planner or Pantser? A novel writing prep series that might help…
If you haven’t guessed by now, I’m a planner not a pantser. I’m eternally jealous of all those pantsers out there who can sit down and create a novel without a roadmap. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t outline every twist and turn up front – that would ruin the fun of discovering surprises along the way. But I do break out into metaphorical hives if I’m sitting in the muck of the middle without a plan. With the eve of NaNoWriMo almost here, the plan for my novel is shaping up nicely, and I thought I’d break it down into parts to perhaps offer up some inspiration if you find yourself sitting in the muck during November.
This 16-part novel writing prep series will unfold over the course of the month and will offer up ideas and suggestions for different parts of the novel writing experience. Here’s a glimpse at some of the upcoming topics if you’d like to follow the series or join the discussion:
- The Seed – Where do ideas for novels come from and how do we find them?
- The Thanks – Sounds silly, but plan ahead for acknowledgements and giving thanks.
- The Motivation – 5 Tips for Finding the Right Writing Buddy
- The Plan – From notes to novel in 5 easy steps
- The Roots – Determining the structure of your novel
- The Research – Write what you know OR know what you write?
- The Mind Map – Give your ideas a visual form to see connections and threads.
- The Characters – Create a visual library to get to know your characters
- The Characters Part 2 – Is it backstory or does it bring your story back to life?
- The Characters Part 3 – Are your secondary characters squelching your main character?
- The Characters Part 4 – What’s an arc and why does my character need one?
- The Setting – To trip or not to trip?
- The Problem – Does your main character have a main problem?
- The Theme – That elusive concept
- The Plot Points – Building blocks for success
- The First Draft – Ugh! I can’t stand my own words!
- The Sub-Plots – Do you need them? Do you have them?
- The Music – Playlists can set the mood and get you out of a rut
Oops, that’s eighteen. See I’m already veering from the plan. I told you I can find a little pantser in me when I try.
How about you? Are you a pantser, a planner or something in between?