It’s that time of year again. The time of year you start giving gifts to the writer in your life. Gift giving? What? Shouldn’t this post have been back in November before the holidays? Well, yes. But think about all those gift giving opportunities on the horizon. Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, June birthdays (I don’t know about you, but I know so many people with birthdays in June. Maybe people just get frisky when back-to-school rolls around.), and teacher appreciation gifts. Then there are summer vacations. I’m always looking for great hostess gifts for the multiple friends who house us on our annual summer road trips. See, anytime is a good gift giving time!
If you’re anything like me, you’re always looking for the perfect gift to put a smile on your favorite writer’s face. I’ve compiled a list of my Top 20 Best Gifts for Writers. Enjoy and be sure to let me know if you’ve received any writer’s gifts that have knocked your socks off. I’ll add them to my list. If you use Pinterest, you can check out my post on Pinterest for Writers here and you can check out all of these gift ideas on my Pinterest board “Gifts for Writers.”
Bamboo Custom Carved Keyboard and Mouse Combo – $89.98 I can just feel my fingers gliding over this sleek looking keyboard. It’s an earth-friendly keyboard which connects to your computer via USB.
2. USA Literary Map – $19.94 An original hand-lettered poster which features 226 geographically connected authors.
3. Conceal Bookshelf – $16.09 Make books float on your wall with this gravity defying bookshelf. I can picture my office covered with stacks of books hovering from the walls.
“Writing is Rewriting” Cuff Ring – $13.95 Etsy.com is one of my favorite places to find one-of-a-kind gifts. This ring is hand stamped with the phrase “writing is rewriting.” It will serve as a daily reminder that the hard work doesn’t end the first time you write “The End.”
5. Gift certificate to Moo.com for 50 Mini-Moo Business Cards – $19.99 These cards can be custom designed with multiple images. They would be great to feature quotations or images from that new novel your writer friend has coming out.
6. Hand-Painted Business Card Holder – $48.00 Speaking of business cards and speaking of Etsy.com, this San Francisco-based Etsy artist creates beautiful works of art on metal business card holders. Your favorite writer friend will feel proud to pull out this holder when networking at the next writer’s conference.
7. “Shut up and write.” Canvas Totebag – $25.15 We all need a reminder now and then. Filled with groceries or library books, this tote will serve as a constant reminder to the procrastinating writer.
8. Writer’s Flask – $20.00 We all need a little liquid courage sometimes. Regardless of what it’s filled with, this flask will give your favorite writer a laugh (and maybe the courage to fight back that inner editor) every time they sip from it.
9. Pop Art Edgar Allen Poe T-shirt in Pink or Black – $26.99 The image of Edgar Allen Poe on this t-shirt is created out of the words of his famous poem, “The Raven.” If you follow me on Facebook or Pinterest, you know I love fun t-shirts. This one will definitely find its way into my closet.
10. Stick-Up Weekly Calendar – $10.00 What better way to remind yourself of those weekly wordcount goals than with a self-adhesive calendar stuck to your computer monitor. Remember appointments with your doctor, your friends or your keyboard with these handy little Post-It note calendars.
11. Bracelet made from Vintage Typewriter Keys – $85.00 Many writers love the nostalgia of the good old days. This bracelet harkens back to a time when writers were hunched over their Remington keyboard clacking away. Made from real typewriter kays, this bracelet is a must-have for the writer’s jewelry box.
12. Virginia Woolf A Room of One’s Own Teatowel – $14.67 The Literary Company has a wide selection of teatowels, posters and mugs imprinted with original book covers by the world’s favorite authors. I also love The Great Gatsby poster and the Slaughterhouse Five mug.
13. Magnetic Poetry Writer’s Remedy – $13.60 The gentle relief of Writer’s Remedy helps with all writers block. The bottle has over 200 magnetic tiles with words like “beauty,” “pickle,” and “confess.”
14. “Please don’t make me mock you in my novel” T-shirt – $18.95 This shirt comes in men’s and women’s sizes with all different colors to choose from.
15. “If I don’t write to empty my mind, I go mad.” Necklace – $22.50 This wooden pendant hangs from a sterling silver chain. The quote by Lord Byron perfectly captures the feeling that many of us have that if we don’t capture all of those thoughts on paper, our minds might explode or go mad.
16. Virginia Woolf “Orlando” Totebag – $15.78 You can never have enough totebags, and the Virginia Woolf quote on this one is particularly fitting. Not only does it capture the frantic life of many writers, but it hits a chord for me on days when I’m juggling family, work, friends and writing. This jumbled mass of humanity (with or without the gin and the birthing in the next room) is sometimes the perfect (and only) atmosphere for my writing.
17. Edgar Allen Poe T-shirt – $27.00 You can’t go wrong with Edgar Allen Poe gifts for writers. This t-shirt is printed with one of Poe’s most ominous, albeit true (in his case) quotes. “I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.” Some days just feel like that, don’t they?
18. Ampersand Earrings – $8.00 I, like many writers, am a sucker for typography. These simple acrylic earrings make me happy every time I see them. Not only is the ampersand a beautiful piece of typographic art, but I love the possibilities that a lone ampersand (or a pair of them) provides for life. And… and… and…
19. “We are such stuff as dreams are made on” Sterling Silver Cuff – $97.00 This adjustable wrist cuff is stamped with a quote from William Shakespeare’s The Tempest. And what better way to sum up the world of writing than with this wise and poetic sentiment? Writers truly are such stuff as dreams are made on. How else could we keep plugging away at it everyday?
20. F-Bomb Paperweight – $45.00 Sometimes, there is nothing better than an appropriately shouted (or stifled) f-bomb. This paperweight makes me giggle everytime I see it. Yes, it’s crass. Yes, it’s irreverent. Yes, that’s what I love about it. Aren’t we all just the tiniest bit crass and irreverent sometimes? That’s why we’re writers, right?
How about you? Have you received any perfect writer’s gifts? I’d love to have this list up to 50 ideas by November, 2012 – just in time for the next round of holidays!